Sunday, August 14, 2011

Bedtime Routine

BJ and I share the responsibilities of getting Sam to bed.  Most of the time it's every other night, but lately I've been taking a few extra nights because of BJ's crazy school schedule.  I really don't mind it, it's a special time that Sam and I can have together and just enjoy each other.  Usually the routine is that I will lay in bed with her and read her one story, then we will pray and then read the last story.  Then I have to stretch the truth a little and make up some reason for leaving her room.  Some reason other than "you have to go to bed"  If we tell her that, she has a melt down and screams until we come back to her room.

Tonight was my night to put her to bed.  We read "The Very Greedy Bee" for about the hundredth time, and then I told Sam it was time to start prayers.  Usually I will say something first, and Sam just repeats me.  Tonight she took the lead.  I always start with Jesus, thank you for...  Tonight I told her, "Ok time to pray" and instantly she said "Jesus thank you for sister, mommy, daddy, me...." and the list went on for a while.  I'm sure it included Petey her favorite stuffed puppy and probably some other random stuffed friends.  Then she went on to say "help me have a good day tomorrow."  Of course this is all actually in her speaking terms which is hard for most people to understand and she forgets words here and there, but I know what she is saying.  Most of the time.

What floored me is that she remembered how the prayer went.  Yes I'm predictable, but most of the time when I am praying with her, she is trying to find another book to read, or finding a way to stall me leaving the room.   She may not know what she is saying, but I am thankful that she understands the basics, and is starting her own relationship talking with god on a regular basis.

I have to go now, someone is trying to get me back into her bed for another story.  I might just have to indulge her tonight.

No comments: