Sunday, February 1, 2009

This update is long overdue, but we have been busy! This will probably get long.

This weekend we had our second big meeting as the Wisconsin State Office. The meeting was in Milwaukee, which is about an hour from our office. The last week has been crazy busy getting ready for the meeting, and whenever I thought I had a handle on all the stuff that had to be done, another task would pop up. I was prepared and confident for this meeting though. It didn't seem to be as thrown together as some have been in the past.

We worked on last minute stuff Friday, and then headed over to Milwaukee. Got checked into the hotel and headed to Target with our rented Uhaul to do some major shopping. We had a contest that included prize tables. The prize tables ranged in prizes from $30 to $250. We had to purchase about 100 things to put on the prize tables in this price range. There were 7 of us running through Target purchasing whatever we thought others would like. It was a great mix of people for the shopping since we had men and women in a couple different age groups. We split up and everyone tackled a department. The people at Target thought we were crazy. It was a lot of fun, and I think based on the reactions of the associates, we did a pretty good job.

Friday night I had a ton of help that I appreciated so much. We worked on all the set up and last minute details, and having everyone there to help out was amazing. We were working on set up until 11:30 Friday night, but we got everything done.

Saturday morning I got up early to finish up some last minute details and to run through the day one more time to make sure that I had everything done. We meet with the hotel staff, and then our own state office staff, and the meeting started at 12:00.

The meeting went pretty well, and there was so much energy in the room. Jason had all 300 people on their feet cheering for alot of the meeting.

The last half of the night we had some problems with the hotel staff, it was like our meeting in the morning meant nothing, because none of our requests were granted. With everything else going on at a meeting like this, the last thing we have time to do is to remind the hotel staff of what their job is as well. The DJs had a little technical difficulty, but other than that I think the meeting went really well. Jason gave away over $20,000 in cash, and 7 trips!

Towards the end of the night, Jason brought me on stage to thank me. As you know I don't like being in front of crowds, so I kind of hide in the corner. It's a good thing I did, Jason announced that we were expecting and then told us that he would be starting a college fund for Baby Sterken. It took all that is within me to control the tears on stage. What a generous guy he is. BJ and I are so thankful for all he has provided for us.

The meeting ended, and the fun part began. There was a lot of drinking (of course none for me) and dancing. Jason's parents, and another couple that we know from Michigan came in for the meeting. We had a great time catching up with them. Everyone from WI was so great as well, congratulating me and BJ on the baby, and just making us feel more at home.

At about 11:30 I was done for the night, since I had been up since 6 working, and it was a long day. I took a little while to say goodbye to everyone, and checked in with the banquet manager to make sure everything was taken care of, and headed up to bed. I was in my PJs in bed for about 10 minutes and the hotel phone rang. It was Jason and he asked me to come back down to talk with the hotel staff. It seems the hotel contract said the bar had to shut down at 12, and we were told 1:30. So with 150 people still drinking and dancing, Jason knew shutting down would be bad at that point. So after some major fighting with the hotel staff, and some tempers flaring (not mine, though I was not happy for being pulled out of my comfy bed), there was a compromise made. I said my second round of good nights, and made my way back to the room.

This time I think I was in bed 20 minutes, and there was a knock on the door and some said "Security". My first thought was "can't the guys handle anything", and "Oh no, what happened?" I opened the door, hiding behind it, since I was in my PJs again, and the security guy says "we have some champagne for you". Apparently the hotel staff thought it would be a great idea to send up some champagne to the pregnant ladies room at 1:00 in the morning, in order to make up for the misunderstanding. I was so ticked. Who thinks that would be a good idea? I appreciated the gesture, just not the execution.

All in all we had a great time, but boy am I glad it's over. We got home today, and I took a 5 hour nap! A little too much excitement I guess.

We are heading back to MI this weekend to visit with friends and family. It has been a month, and I am so ready to see everyone, and my puppy!

Hope everyone is doing well!

1 comment:

Jen V. said...

Awww, Karrie! I was laughing and crying at this post! You poor thing! Hahaha!

It's so nice of Jason to set up a college fund! WOW! One less thing to worry about! One BIG thing! :)

And getting you out of bed to deliver champagne that you can't drink...hilarious! I'm sure you were ticked at the time, but it's a great story!